Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Gen. 17: Don't be Cut Off

So, chapter 17 takes place about 13 years after chapter 16 comes to a close. By this time, Ishmael is a young boy, and Abram is 99 years old, his wife Sarai is about 90. Abram was already an old fogey when God made the covenant with him all those years ago. By this time, I wonder how Abram's faith was holding up. Even with screwed-up ages compared to modern times, its getting pretty late in the game to father an heir. If God made me a promise, I'd probably give Him less than 13 years before I'd start letting my doubts creep in.

Finally, God appears before Abram and says, "All right, I'm ready to confirm this covenant. You're numbers will start to increase." I don't know if God jumped out of nowhere after 13 years of total silence, or if He had been making appearances here and there...the Bible doesn't say. But Abram falls face down before God...out of fear, awe, reverence...I'd do the same, I suppose.

God announces that this is a covenant of circumcision. Ouch. Every male 8 days and up from here to...forever...will have to have a bit of minor surgery on the most intimate part of his body. Perhaps this cutting is a reminder of the reproductive dedication to the covenant between God and man? This covenant is one of flesh. That it is not the human body that reproduces humans...there is a miracle from God that reproduces humans. Imagine Abram's reaction to God telling him this.

"You want me to what my what?"

Anyway, in order to be identified as a child of God, there must be circumcision. The foreskin must be removed. It is possible the foreskin was symbolic of the unclean? Anyone who doesn't undergo circumcision will be...well, "cut off." Hey, God's words, not mine. This is a covenant that man is capable of breaking in flesh. God says, "I'm good to go" but if man refuses to take this action, he breaks the covenant, and will not be a part of God's promise.

Sarai becomes Sarah, and Abram becomes Abraham. Probably means "father of many nations." This name change comes as a result of the new covenant, I'd assume, as things change drastically in this movement of God. What an amazing thing to be told that Kings of nations would be born in your line. Awesome.

Anyway, Abraham...I'm not sure how he's taking this. God said all this before. Abraham even laughs...."I'm 99 years old, and my wife is about to hit 90. How will we see this? Are you talking about Ishmael?"

Noooooo....God said it would include Sarah...duhhh.

God gets very specific with Abraham, telling him that the covenant will be established through Isaac, who will be born to Sarah. Sure, Ishmael will have it good, be the father of 12 nations and such, but the everlasting covenant will be through Isaac, who will be born by this time NEXT YEAR! Finally! God gives a time frame. Sometimes we just need those.

No comments: