Sunday, December 28, 2008

Ne. 10: Post-Exile Oath

Nehemiah 10:29 "all these now join their brothers the nobles, and bind themselves with a curse and an oath to follow the Law of God given through Moses the servant of God and to obey carefully all the commands, regulations and decrees of the LORD our Lord."

Chapter ten begins with a long list of names. Which on the surface seems kind of useless to read. But then I imagined my own name. Where will my name be listed on the cosmic rolls? Which lists will I be a part of when all there is to say is said, and all there is to do is done? Which of those lists will I be proud to be a part of? Which of those lists would I be sad to be on? I can already think of a few of each. But the list here in chapter ten is of those who were bound to the oath they made to keep God's covenant. A pretty good list to be a part of, but those on this list will be held to account. I like that. Holding to account improves and strengthens integrity.

This reads a lot like Leviticus, with what was commanded of the Israelites in regards to marriage, giving, farming, offering and feasts. It's not too far off from what was read and commanded by the more Godly kings in Israel's past. But the vows seemed to be temporary, and where the vows were broken, the judgment was often swift and terrible.

God reveals a bit about Himself here. He always seems to say, "OK, you told me you were going to follow my commands, I'll hold you to that." Never does he get cynical and say, "Whatever, you always say you will follow my covenant, but then you always blow it." I would be tempted to do that constantly. But this shows God's perfect grace that I could never claim to duplicate or even comprehend.

No comments: