Saturday, April 19, 2008

Dt. 26: Firstfruits and Tithes

Deuteronomy 26:18 "And the LORD has declared this day that you are his people, his treasured possession as he promised, and that you are to keep all his commands."

Here God gives exacting instructions for what he expects the Israelites to do once they enter the promised land. They are to prepare an offering of the firstfruits...whatever they harvest from the land...which will be good if Israel is good because God promised it would be if they would be. The they take it to the priest, and God gives them a line to recite every time they go.
My father was a wandering Aramean, and he went down into Egypt with a few people and lived there and became a great nation, powerful and numerous. But the Egyptians mistreated us and made us suffer, putting us to hard labor. Then we cried out to the LORD, the God of our fathers, and the LORD heard our voice and saw our misery, toil and oppression. So the LORD brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm, with great terror and with miraculous signs and wonders. He brought us to this place and gave us this land, a land flowing with milk and honey; and now I bring the firstfruits of the soil that you, O LORD, have given me.
That's like 6 verses of stuff they had to memorize...a cliff's notes of their entire history. Useful to not forget what God did for them, where they were...who they were, what they went through, and how God delivered them. And then justify their actions with this offering. It would be easy to think that offerings were a solemn time. But I think time and again, the Bible says to make these offerings while rejoicing...it was a celebration of God's goodness. That they were blessed with so much to be able to give so much.

When it comes to tithing, the Israelites had to have their house in order. They were to give their tithe to the Levite, the widow and the orphan. And again they had a recitation to give.
I have removed from my house the sacred portion and have given it to the Levite, the alien, the fatherless and the widow, according to all you commanded. I have not turned aside from your commands nor have I forgotten any of them. I have not eaten any of the sacred portion while I was in mourning, nor have I removed any of it while I was unclean, nor have I offered any of it to the dead. I have obeyed the LORD my God; I have done everything you commanded me. Look down from heaven, your holy dwelling place, and bless your people Israel and the land you have given us as you promised on oath to our forefathers, a land flowing with milk and honey.
Its a good reminder of why they do what they do, but I'm glad I don't have to say something like this whenever I give offering. Seems these words, while intended to prevent tithing from becoming a mindless ceremony would eventually become a mindless ceremony of their own. And these words had to be true.

And what a promise to finish out the chapter. Can you imagine being a treasured possession of God? Think about what you hold most dear...that's how God treasures you. You. That's pretty amazing. And all this holiness would lead to a place of high esteem among other nations...that's if they followed Gods decrees and kept his commands.

No comments: