Friday, August 15, 2008

2 Sa. 19: And So It Goes

2 Samuel 19:22 "David replied, 'What do you and I have in common, you sons of Zeruiah? This day you have become my adversaries! Should anyone be put to death in Israel today? Do I not know that today I am king over Israel?'"

I guess at first blush I was kind of irritated with his reaction to David's mourning the death of his son. Then I tried to look at it from Joab's side. Joab had one job. To kick hiney. And he did it well, and he fought hard. And he was killing his countrymen. Then, instead of a victory celebration, he returns home to find his commander in mourning over the death of the leader of the enemy. Patton would do the same thing. I guess. Was Joab right in telling David to go out and encourage his men? I guess so. Probably.

This divided land was in desparate need of unity. Even one faction, the Israelites were in disarray about their current leadership position. David returns to Jerusalem, led by Zadok and Abiathar, the priests, and Amasa, who replaced Joab as military commander. Was Joab fired over the Absalom incident? I don't recall reading that yet, but this is the second time Amasa was mentioned as commander.

Remember Shimei, the rock chucking, dirt-showering curser? He makes another appearance, in contrition, repenting for how he treated David. Abishai, Joab's brother still wants this guy dead. David reacts in an intresting way, "Boy you guys really don't know me." David had the power to kill, and the power to protect. He chose to protect Shimei because of his repentence. So that loose end was tied up nicely.

What's next? Oh, Mephibosheth. Mephibosheth figured that Ziba slandered him to David, unjustly usurping Meph's rightful property. David has them divide their property evenly, but Mephibosheth gives up everything to Ziba, glad only in David's safe return to Jerusalem.

By this time, the men of Israel were getting the memo. It was time to unite behind David. Absalom didn't really have someone lined up, at least by what I've read thus far. They even managed to squabble about who was better for bringing David across the river. Sounds like the Israel we know.

No comments: