Thursday, May 14, 2009

Ps. 84: Better Is One Day

Psalm 84:14 "Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked."

The 84th Psalm extols the wonder and ultimate joy it is to dwell in the house of God. Besides being the obvious inspiration for Matt Redman's ubiquitous late-90's tune, it really shows how God's house can be everywhere. The sparrow finds rest. The sparrow. A common bird. Yet this bird has a place near God's altar. All creation, and I presume the illustration is for all people, is important to God.

The sons of Korah write that their soul faints to be in the house of God. Other than to be with my wife, I can't think of anything else my soul faints for. O, that the house of God would be so critical to my own personal strength and sanity.

We have a section about a pilgrimage passing through the valley of Baca, which I hear tell is sorrow or tears. So much so that pools are formed. I'm not entirely sure what is meant by going from strength to strength til each appears before God in Zion. Perhaps they are encouraged and strengthened? Appearing before God sounds as though there is some final accounting before God. And the strength gained through adversity is the strength that will keep one through the judgement?

No comments: