Friday, May 22, 2009

Ps. 92: Worship and Thought

Psalm 92:5 "How great are your works, O LORD, how profound your thoughts!"

Worshipping God for his good deeds is a good thing. Right to do. Commanded? No. But if you experience God and allow yourself to understand him and his wonders on the level that the Psalmist does, how could you not? Even though life may not be so wonderful all the time, it is God who is unwavering, who brings the blessing, who has such profound thoughts that he is deserving of praise.

I am also struck by the thought in verses 6 and 7. It takes a level of intellectual honesty and fitness to see the evildoers enjoying such great lives and flourishing, that it is temporary. Eventually that tangible success will be destroyed. And that's something that I personally must remind myself. I don't want to consider myself senseless or a fool (though I must admit I am at times), so I need to realize that true success is to be a man after God's own heart, as David is. To fail, but yet to be so close to God that failure doesn't crush my own true sense of self, and that is that I am beloved by him. 

I want to be that palm...that Lebanon cedar...bearing fruit into old age. Not passing away like scattered enemies.

No comments: