Saturday, May 16, 2009

Ps. 86: Save David

Psalm 86:11 "Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name."

David is back again, and in typical David fashion has a Psalm asking for deliverance. 

Why should God deliver David?

Why does God have to deliver David?

And why is David in this trouble? Is he not a man after God's own heart? Didn't God say to follow his words and not waver to the right or to the left and one will live long and prosper (Dt. 5)? Well, David often stood in need of God's forgiveness. He wasn't perfect, but he was blameless, due to his constant back-and-forth with God, his total transparency before God.

David describes God in worship, and it's really quite beautiful. Forgiving, abounding in love. That's quite a description, and it speaks to what David knew he needed. God was everything David lacked. And was the only God that David could say that about.

I'm not sure when all nations will bow before God. It hasn't happened yet. But I'm no prophet. And they will worship Him? I really find that very difficult to believe, unless something drastic happens.

At the end of the 86th Psalm, David asks God for a sign. Something that will secure and comfort David, and also put his enemies to shame. I'm not sure what that sign is. Perhaps the promise that David would always have a light in the tabernacle?


No comments: