Thursday, October 02, 2008

1 Ch. 2: Israel's Line

1 Chronicles 2:1 "These were the sons of Israel: Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Judah, Issachar, Zebulun, Dan, Joseph, Benjamin, Naphtali, Gad and Asher."

More genealogy. They're all here, from Israel's (Jacob's sons) up through the descendants of Salma. There are some kings here that are familiar, that are kind of passed over in the "so-and-so begat so-and-so" fashion. 

No other nation is given a similar genealogy.

Some of these names I haven't heard before. Is it because I missed them? Maybe. There are a lot of names. Who can keep track of them? Anyway, that's not the nature of this study. And some names I haven't gotten to yet, probably. I'm only a fraction of the way through the Bible, but if these names are significant, I'll get to their vignettes soon, I'm sure.

Why a genealogy? What is the point of this record? Why is this history so important? How accurate is it? How many more are coming?

Who begat who? Its here. Who descended from who? That's here too. I guess its kind of interesting to see who was who's peer, and to get a perspective of how far apart in the Bible certain characters were.

No comments: