Tuesday, October 14, 2008

1 Ch. 13: Return of the Ark

1 Chronicles 13:12 "David was afraid of God that day and asked, 'How can I ever bring the ark of God to me?'"

Review: 2 Sa. 6, entry

I can't really say much more here than what I said back in July. They loaded up the ark wrong, and it cost a well-meaning man his life. 

I guess I'd like to consider David's timidity before God. He was so filled with what I can only guess is fear, and at the very least, a feeling of being unworthy. When you are riding high, celebrating victory, and then celebrating the ark's return to it's rightful place back home in Israel, Uzzah's death, and the way he died.

How quickly can our own closeness with God dissolve when something unexpected happens. For Uzzah and David, it only took a moment. Panic. Not thinking. And lives, situations change completely. How do we react? David turns tail, and in fear of the ark, has the family of Obed-Edom handle it. 

Who was this Obed-Edom? The text says David "took it aside (the ark)" and brought it to them. Did they volunteer? Was there some sort of system set up? What is Obed's role here? He handles  something a king would/could not. It was not the original intent that Obed-Edom would take the presence of God into his home. But here he was. And his household is blessed because of it. God made a wonderful thing happen for someone who took something as awesome and risky into his own life. Could I do that?

No comments: