Friday, October 24, 2008

1 Ch. 21: Censory Overload

1 Chronicles 21:8 "Then David said to God, "I have sinned greatly by doing this. Now, I beg you, take away the guilt of your servant. I have done a very foolish thing."

Here's an in-game reset of 2 Samuel 24 (entry).  Its the story where David is instructed to number Israel, but instead, he counts the fighting men. I think David knew...was aware...that he was going to be disobeying God with this act. Even Joab, who has his own moments of being unsavory knew it wasn't right, and didn't even count from Levi (who didn't have to enlist), and Benjamin because he thought it was such a bad idea. This note isn't in 2 Samuel.

So what? I think the surface lesson is to not count your own strengths in battle. But I think also, David needed a bit of humbling, maybe. He has been scoring victory after victory, and, like anyone, it could have gone to his head.

David's misjudgment results in a plague on Israel. He takes the punishment on his own head to preserve the plague-stricken nation. It was his fault, and I love his "negotiation" with Araunah. He makes this statement that is very striking. "I will not make a sacrifice to God that costs me nothing." Isn't that amazing? How much do we allow ourselves to think we give up to God. When have I sacrificed anything for God?

That Keith Green song "To Obey is Better than Sacrifice" was pretty close to target, but in the end, he sort of elevates sacrifice. So I'm not sure that applies perfectly, but there's a line where it says "I don't need your money, I want your life." David is giving up his money here, but does he give up his life? We shall see.

No comments: