Thursday, June 25, 2009

Ps. 127: Ascent for Children

Psalm 127:5 "Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate."

There are a couple of great truths here in the 127th Psalm. I imagine David writing this Psalm while thinking of his son, Solomon.

I don't want to skip over verse one's idea that unless the LORD builds the house, the labor is in vain, and without God's protection, the watchmen are in vain. Good to know, and I hope that the LORD is building my "house." I suppose you can have all the money and the land and a gigantic fortress of a house, but unless God is watching over it, it can never be completely impregnable. It could fall easily without his guard.

I guess the latter half of the chapter could be construed as a command from God to have a lot of kids. I guess I don't see it that way. IF one has a lot of kids, its a blessing from God, not an overwhelming burden. At least, that should be the opinion. Maybe Israel was at the point where they needed a lot of manpower, and the more a man had, the more he could contribute to the defense and protection of Israel.



No comments: