Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Pr. 9: Rebuke the Wise

Proverbs 9:10 "Do not rebuke a mocker or he will hate you; rebuke a wise man and he will love you."

Like a dinner party host, wisdom in her perfection invites all to come; the simple, those who lack judgment. They are invited to partake of wisdom's food: life and understanding.

She seeks to instruct the wise, those who would listen. To correct mockers, people with no interest in wisdom invites insult. Mockers are people who have it all figured out in their own mind. They have no need for instruction, and will fall victim to folly, suffering and death. I hope I am not a mocker. I hope I have the sense to realize I need instruction (this blog being surface evidence). I want to be wiser still (v. 9). That comes through fear of God at the beginning.

The woman Folly is the opposite, undisciplined, unknowing. She invites people to drink stolen water, and eat food in secret. But inside her house is not the lavish banquet and riches. Rather, death.

No comments: