Monday, July 06, 2009

Ps. 137: Remember Zion?

Psalm 137:6 "May my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth if I do not remember you, if I do not consider Jerusalem my highest joy."

Israel was conquered by the Babylonians and carried into exile. Apparently, their captors forced them to sing the songs of the LORD, as they wanted not only to hear these songs, but bring shame on the people of Israel. These songs were probably some of the Psalms I've been reading for the last few months. What would be a more appropriate mockery than to sing songs of praise to a mighty deliverer while in captivity?

Some of the Psalms though could serve to rally the people. David, when he was fleeing Saul wrote so much about how he was down to his last breath and faced death constantly, yet he relied on God to deliver him, and God did!

Of course this is painful though, and Israel was probably not feeling like trusting God.

To make matters worse, Israel's enemy, Edom, was probably sitting there watching Babylon mow down Israel, and mocking them, as Babylon commited all kinds of horrible atrocities, and knocked down Jerusalem's walls.

Edom's uppance will come.

No comments: