Sunday, July 05, 2009

Ps. 136: His Love Endures Forever

Psalm 136:1 "Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good. His love endures forever."

This Psalm recounts all the amazing things God has done by his creation. Repeated in every single couplet in this chapter are the words "His love endures forever." That's 26 times. Emphasis. What I know from reading this chapter is that all these things God has done (the creation, his deliverance from enemies, his provision, his power), he does out of his love. His forever-enduring love. He doesn't do it as a vulgar display of power. He's not showing off. Each thing he does is borne out of his love for man.

There's a praise song that was set to this Psalm that used to be kind of annoying because of it's repetitiveness, but when I read the chapter, and see how this repitition is intended by the Psalmist, it gives me a new perspective, and now I want to go listen to it.

I think that's the most interesting point from this 136th Psalm.

No comments: