Thursday, August 06, 2009

Pr. 18: Even More Proverbs for Living

Proverbs 18:15 "The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out. "

It is implied here that there is great pleasure to be had in finding understanding. It's that "Aha!" moment that I've come to enjoy when reading through these scriptures with a willing heart and a mind open to learning. I express my opinion on these after reading, not like a fool, who does so beforehand, without really knowing what he's talking about. I've been that way long enough. (v. 2, 13)

Ever say something so foolish people wanted to give you a beating? Ever heard someone say something so foolish you wanted to pound them? (v. 6-7)

Gossip is tasty at first, satisfying. Feels good. But... (v. 8)

Pride in your wealth is misplaced. It will lead to destruction. (v. 11-12)

Get a second opinion. Listen to both sides of the story before passing judgment. (v. 17)

Don't want to show favoritism and invite quarrel? Cast lots. (v. 18)

I found good when I found my wife. She is a favor to me from the LORD. (v. 22)

If you have too many friends, that can lead to ruin. You have too many people to please. There's a friend that sticks closer than a brother. Where? Who? Do they have a specific friend in mind? A best friend? (v. 24)

No comments: