Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Pr. 31: A Good Wife

Proverbs 31:10 "A truly good wife is the most precious treasure a man can find!"

Here's some stuff King Lemuel's mother taught him. I don't know who King Lemuel is. He doesn't show up in the list of kings back in Kings and Chronicles. Maybe he is a king of some other country. I don't know. Israel/Judah had allies. Anyway, should I get bogged down in who he was? On to the Proverbs.

It is no place for kings, rulers...people of high esteem to crave drink, and allow themselves to get wasted. For the poor, and those at the end of their lives, I suppose that's understandable. Alcohol gets people crazy, and a person who makes laws doesn't want to drunk-legislate. Bad idea. But these people in poverty, its not good just to forget about them and let them get drunk. Lemuel's mom tells him to stick up for them, to speak for them when they have no voice.

Then, Lemuel's mom offers advice on the right type of woman. The common view of what the bible says about women is that they should shut up, don't make waves, and generally just spit out an army of babies.

Lets take a look. Her noble character is worth more than rubies. Which, I guess are pretty valuable.


Not as valuable as a wife of noble character.

She's basically good at everything she does, she uplifts her husband, she brings him good. She fears the LORD, which is important, because the other things we value, charm and beauty, are deceptive and fleeting. This is no wimpy little housewife. She is smart, wise, careful, and attentive to detail. Diligent and hardworking, generous and giving. I wonder how many women with these characteristics are promoted on TV and in movies. I don't know. I don't see many movies.

But that sounds like my kinda woman.

No comments: