Sunday, August 16, 2009

Pr. 28: Proverbs with Money

Proverbs 28:27 "He who gives to the poor will lack nothing, but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses."

A wicked man flees though no one is pursuing. Yeah, I guess if you commit a crime or sin, you probably are watching your back, and guilt hangs heavy, causing you to think everyone knows, or everyone is watching. Not a fun feeling. You just want to turn yourself in to stop going crazy. Verse 17, also.

Verse 6 emphasizes again how important blamelessness is over wealth.

Why would concealing sin lead to a lack of prosperity? Confession and renunciation of these sins lead to mercy. Is mercy to be equated with prosperity? When I think of prosperity, I think of financial wealth, not necessarily mercy. How could I not count mercy among riches?

I've considered playing the lottery, but I don't want to hassle with it. I don't know how to pick numbers or whatever, and I don't know how to find out if I won. That seems to be chasing fantasies. If my hope is winning a fortune by chance, of course I'll be in poverty. If I work hard, I'll be fine.

Sometimes I withhold rebuke in order to keep the peace. I shouldn't do that. Sometimes I pull out the ol' flattering tongue anyway. Why would I do that? If I know what's right, why not rebuke a wise man in the things that matter?

I've struggled with this idea of giving to the poor. Of course my heart breaks for the people I ride by on my bike in the morning, sleeping in doorways on Grand Rapids' streets. A lot of them want like 50 cents or whatever. I rarely carry change, so I can't give them anything. Do I write a check to charity and hope they take care of them? Or do I bring them into my home? Two extremes, I think. I have much to give.

No comments: