Thursday, July 24, 2008

2 Sa. 6: David's Ark

2 Samuel 6:7 "The LORD's anger burned against Uzzah because of his irreverent act; therefore God struck him down and he died there beside the ark of God."

Well, it is time for David to bring the ark back home. He brings 30,000 of his men after it. I don't know if he was expecting a fight? I don't know. Maybe the Philistines still had the ark...

So they load the ark up on a cart being drawn by oxen, and its probably not the best way to carry it. It was not carried the way it was inherently designed to be carried. By Levite priests, with a pole through the rings. It was stable, and it was also what God commanded. But here they were, the ark rattling along on rudimentary roads. Of course it was bound to fall off. And Uzzah reaches out to keep it from smashing on the ground, and he is struck dead. It was a happy time, with much celebrating, but then God kills Uzzah.

I more or less accept this, as I have read God's justice since the beginning. He is completely holy. I guess this makes sense. It's still horrible, the loss of life. But Uzzah was unjustly put in this position, so David's anger is somewhat out of place. David eventually gets it right.

After a sacrifice, and a cooling off period, David is back in the mood to celebrate, and he dances and leaps with all of his might before the LORD. Which got me thinking. What would trigger me to do that today? What would compel me to become this undignified to dance all crazy-like for God. Michal saw it, and was not pleased. She thought it was ridiculous for the king to act like that, and tells David. David uncorks the burn of the century though... "It was before the LORD, who chose me rather than your father or anyone from his house when he appointed me ruler over the LORD's people Israel—I will celebrate before the LORD." Snap! Michal's attitude costs her the ability to bear children.

No comments: