Tuesday, July 08, 2008

1 Sa. 21: Crazy Bread

1 Samuel 21:6 "So the priest gave him the consecrated bread, since there was no bread there except the bread of the Presence that had been removed from before the LORD and replaced by hot bread on the day it was taken away."

David, apparently on his trek fleeing from Saul, winds up at the tabernacle...whether or not that was his aim, I don't know. He pretends to be on a secret mission from the king, therefore giving him power where otherwise he may not have had it. He convinces Ahimelech, the priest to give him the bread of the Presence to eat.

Then, presumably to protect himself from Doeg, Saul's head shepherd, he takes Goliath's sword from the tabernacle and proceeds to Gath. Goliath's hometown. I just have no idea what is going on here. There he pretends to be crazy as he is captured by the Gathites. I love Achish the King's reaction to having David in his presence. "Am I so short of madmen that you have to bring this fellow here to carry on like this in front of me? Must this man come into my house?" Ha, what a great quote. The idea of being short of madmen I find hilarious, and I trust you will too.

Is David's life coming apart? Why the facade? Why eat the holy showbread? I want answers.

No comments: