Thursday, July 10, 2008

1 Sa. 24: Robe-Cutter

1 Samuel 24:19 "When a man finds his enemy, does he let him get away unharmed? May the LORD reward you well for the way you treated me today."

Saul takes care of business (victory or defeat are not implied) with the Philistines, and manages to find his way into the exact cave David and his merry men were occupying. Saul goes in to take a dump, and David sneaks up and cuts off a corner of Saul's robe. I find his sudden attack of conscience at this quite interesting. David had an opportunity to mail it to Saul and say, "Ha! I could have killed you!" and hold it over Saul. But he didn't. David was actually despondent at his own actions. Eventually, he does come out and confront Saul, but it's a spirit of peace.

What's interesting here is David's implication that Saul was afraid David was trying to harm him. I don't recall reading that anywhere, but I've missed things before. Earlier, Saul appears to be jealous of David's victories. And that's all it is. Petty spite. But Saul may have been afraid of David. I would have thought any fear would have been due to David's influence on the rest of the nation of Israel, but here David is, attempting to smooth over the rough patch he and Saul have endured. Saul gives the appearance of regret, and wanting to make a treaty, but these are words. So we'll see what actually happens, if there is a real change of heart. I'm skeptical, myself.

No comments: