Tuesday, July 15, 2008

1 Sa. 29: Achish Fires David

1 Samuel 29:6 "So Achish called David and said to him, 'As surely as the LORD lives, you have been reliable, and I would be pleased to have you serve with me in the army. From the day you came to me until now, I have found no fault in you, but the rulers don't approve of you.'"

Achish has to let David go here. I was all geared up for what was going to happen when the Philistines, who David assimilated into, and duped into believing he was a traitor, were all set to take on Israel, who David left. Achish would have ridden into battle next to David, but the Philistine rulers didn't want him along. They overruled Achish.

David, who was ... not entirely innocent of wrongdoing against Achish was not trusted by the rulers. But why? Was it just the simple fact that he was a Hebrew? That's what is written. But I wonder if someone knew something. If someone was tipped off about something? And I guess, would David have killed his own people to keep up the scheme? I guess I would think so. That wouldn't surprise me at this point.

No comments: