Sunday, January 25, 2009

Job 16: Reset

Job 16:16-17 "My face is red with weeping, deep shadows ring my eyes;my hands have been free of violence and my prayer is pure."

It took me a few times reading this chapter, I'll admit. I don't know why. The subject matter doesn't appear to be particularly difficult. Job's grieving. Sad. Challenging God. Upset with his friends. Lacing into his friends with a sharp tongue (and deservedly so).

But is it repetitive? I admit to being a bit bored. What more can I say?

I guess I can talk about the text in general. If I take it that this is scripture, and therefore important, what can I pull from how this book is written? Sure, there are lots of little bits here and there that detail a bit about God, His character...how He works. What man's perception is of him. Man's perception of the spirit world. 

I do not want to lose sight of what brought us to this point, and why Job is such a wreck. God stirred the pot with the spoon of Satan, and made one man's life miserable. On the outside, it seems petty. God sort of sits back on his throne, and allows this destruction to prove a point to a lesser being about how awesome He and His people are, right? Why does God need to prove anything to Satan? Is this God giving in to Satan? Did Satan trick God into letting him mess with one of God's most devoted followers? If what I have believed and learned about God all along is true, of course then, that's not the point. Perhaps Satan was the one dangling on the chain? 

It is Satan's modus operandi to mess with people relentlessly. And God's to protect so that these sorts of things don't happen, right?

But Job's perspective on who God is...his advocate. His maker...those don't seem to change. Job still sees God as on his side, despite these ways God has buffeted him.

I don't know.


No comments: