Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Job 19: Job Rebuts

Job 19:27 "I myself will see him with my own eyes—I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!"

Job brushes aside Bildad's words as nothing, as effortlessly as flicking a booger off a windshield or something. He then relates his perceptions of what he believes God is doing to him. 

And I wonder, as Job does, just what is God doing right now. Is this silence part of another unrecorded deal struck with Satan to continue messing with Job? No response...darkness...a seige. These are the words Job uses to describe what God is doing to him. Some of that is right in a way.

The chapter ends with this weird little apocalyptic run of verses describing how Job will stand at the end and see God in his own flesh. Weird. Is it that someone else won't see God for him, but that Job will get his own peek? That no one else will see God the way Job sees God? He might be right on that one. 

What does this mean? He knows his redeemer lives. So Job still sees God as his ultimate redeemer and advocate, despite this current silence and onslaught? God is still someone to believe in despite this testing and this agonizing mystery. I'm not too sure I'd have a similar attitude, as I judge people based on how they treat me. I suppose.

Then he takes a dig at his friends, telling them they'll be under judgment too, so don't act like they know. You know?

No comments: