Thursday, January 15, 2009

Job 6: Job-oo

Job 6:10 "Then I would still have this consolation—my joy in unrelenting pain—that I had not denied the words of the Holy One."

Job's reaction to Eliphaz's opening argument is intense.

The breakdown of it is that when things are ok, he has no reason to make a bunch of noise, so this isn't just some hissy fit Job is throwing. Got it. Doesn't want to eat, ok...depressed teenager vibe? Or does he refer to Eliphaz's advice? Not a fan. 

But I think I want to consider what he says about wanting God to crush him so that he wouldn't deny Him. In his anguish, Job still didn't want to curse God. So it would be easier for him to maintain his integrity if God just killed him right there. That is devotion. But God doesn't strike him down. God was already in the midst of making it hard for Job.

In verse 14, Job continues deconstructing his friends. Job compares himself to a caravan seeking water, disappointed to not find what they need. These are his friends. I'm sure Job hoped there would be an outside chance they'd offer some helpful advice, but none is to be heard just yet. Job doesn't ask for much, does he?

If they have something important or worthwhile to say, Job will listen. But he is pretty certain he will find no relief from his dishonest friends, from his fairweather friends.

Job lets his friends have it, which on the surface is somewhat disquieting. Were I Job, I'd probably sit in silence, or thank my friends politely for trying, even if I thought they weren't helping at all. But, thankfully, I've never gone through what Job is going through. God hasn't put me through a test this severe, at least that's my perception. So I can't say for certain how I'd really react. I would still have some sort of care about their feelings. Job, in his integrity, is fully honest with them, and they haven't been fully honest with him. At least Eliphaz, who is the only one we've heard so far. Job calls them out for not being sympathetic to him, for not being honest with him.


No comments: