Sunday, January 18, 2009

Job 9: Poor Job

Job 9:27-28 "If I say, 'I will forget my complaint, I will change my expression, and smile,' I still dread all my sufferings, for I know you will not hold me innocent."

I tremendously enjoyed reading Job's response to Bildad here. And it wasn't because I wanted to see Job mop the floor with him, because he really doesn't, although Bildad's points would be demolished by what Job is saying. Also, Job in his descriptions of the character of God, comes thisclose to nailing exaclty what God is doing. Wise and perceptive. This must be the Job described in the first chapter.

My enjoyment comes in learning about God from the words of Job. He realizes many things that come from opposing God, from questioning God. 

I especially like the line in verse 5. "He moves mountains without their knowing it." That is tremendous power, and so unlike me. So unlike humanity. Moving someone from their foundation is a violent upheaval. Also, it makes it seem like God is sometimes undetectable by those expecting that upheaval. The subtlety sometimes is what makes the biggest moves.

Verse 12 is equally wise. "Who can say to him, 'What are you doing?'" Job realizes he is in no position to question God's doings. Does he accept what God is doing? Not completely. He knows that he is being pressed by a relentless, eternally wise God.

No comments: