Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Job 41: Leviathan

Job 41:11 "Who has a claim against me that I must pay? Everything under heaven belongs to me."

God continues his description of how big and powerful his creation (and by extension, himself) is. This is a chapter about Leviathan. We've met leviathan before in our readings, back in chapter three, when Job calls out whoever is powerful enough to rouse him. Essentially calling on God to eschew the day Job was born. Chapter 41 appears to be a direct response to that. 

Job is in absolutely no position to put something like leviathan under his control. It is huge, rare and scary. Not tameable. With descriptions including breath that lights coals, it sounds a lot like a dragon. A real, honest-to-Job dragon. Maybe they did exist. I wasn't around a million years ago. Maybe these things roamed around in the depths, scaring fishermen and stuff. I don't know. Seems kind of wussy if it describes a crocodile. Those things are catchable. The zoo is down the block from me. I've seen captive crocs.

In the same manner that a person can not hope to contain leviathan, a man has no business making claims against God.

No comments: