Sunday, February 22, 2009

Ps. 3: Sustenance and Deliverance

Psalm 3:5 "I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me."

The Bible I'm reading comes right out and says that this Psalm was written by or inspired by David's flight from Absalom. Which was a particularly perilous time for David. The original story can be found in 2 Samuel 15-18, with entries beginning here. If you'll recall, Absalom had the hearts of the majority of the people, while David was the rightful king. Did not make for an easy time on the throne.

I can't imagine the fear that must arise from knowing you could be ambushed at anytime. Especially from your son that you loved. And you thought your family was screwed up. It was enough of a nightmare to have these other nations planning against him, and having to fight them off. David's was never going to be a reign of peace.

So what happens? Who do you turn to? David trusts his continued source of refuge and strength, God. He recognizes who gives him life, especially when he can only really count on living day-to-day, something I pray will never happen to you or me. He recognizes that he does not have to live in fear. And there's a difference between being afraid (a temporary emotion) and living in fear (a constant paranoia).

But protection is not enough. Aside from acknowledging the glory bestowed upon him in verse 3, David literally asks God to punch his enemies in the face, and knock their teeth out. Which is rather interesting. That seems like a modern streetfight threat. But who is biter with no teeth? I just love that part.

"Selah" is a term used a few times in this third Psalm. There's no contextual definition, but I asked some experts who say that it may be a musical term (like a place to rest or crescendo or something), or possibly an exaltation like "hallelujah" or "think on this."

It's also used in Jacob's Trouble's song "Best Part of Me." I like that song.

The Mountain Retreat has a whole page devoted to the meaning of Selah. I don't specifically endorse or refute the content of the site, but its an informative read.

No comments: