Thursday, February 19, 2009

Job 42: Restoration Job

Job 42:5 "My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you."

Now comes the task of replying to God. Which can only be a reply of humility. How could Job stand? He probably didn't realize what he was suggesting, when he desired an answer from God. Was this simple curiosity? Who was Job to expect or ever dare think God would give him the answer he agonized to receive? And God never answers Job, or is not recorded as doing so. Job makes the connection that he is nobody in the God scheme of things. 

His statement in verse 5 is parallel to my endeavor with this blog. I've heard many things in my church, from mentors, pastors and teachers. Now I am beginning to see God. And that is something that I have needed. Not to discount the shaping and teaching of those who have gone ahead of me and done their studies, that's valuable and I am thankful. But all of those would be glad to know I had followed behind them through the word, for it's not enough to hear.

Job gets a the storybook ending, and all the plotlines are tied up. What happened to his misguided friends? Job offered sacrifices for them, as he had for his sons and daughters.

What happened to Job's reputation? Fully restored. They came and comforted and consoled him over what God had done, and even gave him some bling.

And Job's family and possessions? Fully restored and then some. He started with seven sons and three daughters. Finished with seven sons and three daughters. He even lived long enough to see his great-grandchildren. 7000 sheep before, 14000 sheep after. 3000 camels before, 6000 camels after. 500 yoke of oxen before, 1000 after. And so on. I don't know why God didn't give him 14 sons and 6 daughters. Maybe that was too much for his wife(wives) to handle. What? Can't God be pragmatic sometimes? His daughters were granted an inheritance in the land, too. Which was weird, remember the story of Zelophehad's daughters

I guess this is probably the heaviest reading so far. Numbers was rather slow, and the recap of the Chronicles took some time, but the subject matter and the theological issues brought up in Job demanded some extra thought and muddling through. It was a lot to think about. Did I see a bit of myself in Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar? I must admit that I did. But I'm not going to take it too hard. I don't know a Job, but if I do meet one, I will do my best not to wax philosophic and theologic. It didn't help Job any when they did it, and I can't imagine its what a suffering person needs. He just needs someone there to listen and love on him. 

I especially loved God's replies in the latter chapters. I learned a lot about creation, and the care that went into, and goes into it. Very interesting read. Do I think it really happened? That there was actually a historical guy named Job? I don't know. I'm not a historian. Do the lessons remain? Absolutely.

No comments: