Monday, February 23, 2009

Ps. 4: A Greater Joy

Psalm 4:7 "You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound."

What's with asking God to "answer me when I call?" Who is David to think himself in any place to demand this of God? Is it really a demand? I guess when I hear someone say "Answer me," it's always a demand, usually out of desperation. But perhaps David was requesting an answer. For peace and protection from his enemies. As the king of Israel back then, I'd imagine he'd have quite a few, especially after the years of conquest.

Is simply "hearing" a man's prayer an example of God's mercy? Of course a God-follower believes God hears all prayers. I would guess the word hear is more closely resembling a court hearing. To consider carefully and to then make a ruling or take action.

David then turns his attention to his enemies, whether foreign or domestic. They apparently rejoice in his shortcomings. Don't you? When your enemy screws up or fails? I do. To turn ones glory into shame is probably an allusion to God, who is David's glory.

Verse 4 talks about anger. Its a revelation that anger is not a sin, for he says, "In your anger, do not sin." He suggests the practical here. To relax. Calm down. That can ease anger, and at the very least, return one to rationality.

Perhaps this command to offer right sacrifices refers to people who had not been making the trip to the tabernacle, and instead offering them in unapproved high places. These were allowed by many kings in Israel's time, but were not something that pleased God.

The thrust of the fourth Psalm must be that true, great joy only comes from God, while disappointment and searching ("who can show us any good?") are a result of not looking for him.

No comments: