Thursday, February 26, 2009

Ps. 6: Anguished Cry for Mercy

Psalm 6:5 "No one remembers you when he is dead. Who praises you from the grave?"

Besides the flowery language here, I think I can appreciate the Psalms on a level that brings a humanity to David, the seemingly invincible king described several books ago. These first few Psalms have given a closer look at David's anguish and personal pain and dialogues with God as he dealt with his enemies and his family.

He has gone through quite a bit of pain, if the sixth Psalm is any true indication. He believes that God will be his deliverer and protector, as God's love is life-giving and unfailing.

If David has a thought on his heart about wanting to live if only for the mere fact that he can continue to praise God (v. 5), I just think that's amazing. Who praises God from the grave? No one? I wondered if the grave was a place of consciousness, but maybe its not. Just still curious. I don't want to miss the big picture. If David dies, he thinks, how can he continue to praise God? What a walk...what a friendship. There aren't too many people I think about missing when I die. It's just not something I think of. Let alone ceasing to be able to praise God.

David doesn't put up some macho mask here, either. He talks about weeping all night long, flooding his bed with tears. I assume that would annoy his wife. Whichever one he was with. That is weepy. That is a crybaby. But there I go judging again.

Also, he doesn't act like this constant harassment by his enemies doesn't bother him. It's a pain, its exhausting, and of course emotions can take control. This guy David was like Patton on roids and angry drugs. He was all that was man at that time. But he doesn't rely on his own bravado, instead choosing to place his trust in God for strength.

No comments: