Thursday, April 02, 2009

Ps. 42: Without God

Psalm 42:11 "Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God."

The language changes here in the 42nd Psalm. Apparently it is a new book, as the first of five books of Psalms ended at 41 chapters. Anyway, this Psalm is a bit more obtuse and poetic. David didn't exactly concern himself with flowery prose in his writings earlier on. Still, the writer paints a pretty clear picture of the agony a person can have when God is not near to him. It doesn't really say if this separation is a result of sin, or just the silence of God. All we know for sure is that this writer is hurting and missing God, is taking flack personally from haters, but still trusts in God to be his vindication.

I suppose we can see what God is, by reading the language. When I see "As the deer pants for water..." I could conclude that God's presence is like a fresh drink of water to one who pants...one who is tired and thirsty. God is that water for thirsty souls. When no water is around, one's tears are the sustenance. Weird. I mean, I guess it sounds weird to me, because I've never felt that God is so far away from me, or has deserted me to the point where I would cry out in anguish. That's not to say I've not been in those situations, but sometimes I can be so coldly logical that I just assume that God is taking a break from ol' Jon, and will get back to me whenever.

Has this person always been without God? No, in fact, he has apparently led processions proclaiming how great God is, in front of lots and lots of people. Now these people are mockers. "Where's your God now?" they must be saying. Laughing at him. Here was this God fanatic, and now his God is nowhere to be found. Haven't we always wanted to see someone all high and mighty, and hoity-toity get his comeuppance? We like to laugh when Godboy falls on his face, like when Flanders didn't get a strike while bowling, and Homer laughed at him.

It's encouraging to see that last verse...there is no need to be disturbed...praise the savior.

No comments: