Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Ps. 63: Growing in the Desert

Psalm 63: "O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water."

I get another description of what it's like to be with God. What it's like to be in a close relationship with God. I see that David thirsts for God in a dry and weary land. He is the desert rose. The only sign of life in desolation. And what sustains him? God. How though? How does God keep David going? Why would David say things like "My soul thirsts for you." "My body longs for you." "My soul clings to you." Imagine! Imagine your very soul, the essence of what makes you you, clinging to God, for dear life! Release from the grip of God is the soul's gravest danger. 

David says that God upholds him, and protects him. Even so, is that enough for me to want my soul to cling to God? To think about God in the watch of the night? Even knowing that God is my only hope of salvation and my own vindication...what would it take for me to own this kind of relationship?

I need to ponder this.

No comments: