Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Ps. 54: Save Me

Psalm 54:6 "I will sacrifice a freewill offering to you; I will praise your name, O LORD, for it is good."

Last summer I blogged about Saul's pursuit of David in 1 Samuel. Here we are in the 54th Psalm with David's thoughts on it. There's no surprise that David is going to trust God for his deliverance. Obviously, we know the Ziphites never overtook him.

I guess I did manage to gain a new perspective on sacrifices. When David offers a freewill offering, it clicked with me that these sacrifices are in some cases a return of the grace of God. Not just done to earn it. The sacrifices are an outpouring of thanks. It is a praise of God's good name. God will deliver him, David will sacrifice. I don't get the sense that if David sacrificed, God would deliver him.

No comments: