Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Ps. 62: Soulrest

Psalm 62:11 "One thing God has spoken, two things have I heard: that you, O God, are strong,"

There's a few things that struck me here in the 62nd Psalm. The first thing is the idea of a soul's rest. Salvation is a part of that. Salvation by God contributes to soulrest. Without salvation, there can be no rest. Salvation is a fortress. It is the place to go when everything else fails. Interesting that it is often the last resort when it has been shown to be the only true resort. In what ways do I avoid running to my fortress, thinking I can handle assaults on my own? If I don't want to be shaken, why wouldn't I run to my fortress for soulrest?

The idea of blessing with one's mouth, and cursing with one's heart is another interesting paradox. I've done it. Who hasn't? These are people David trusted. People who wanted to be seen as something different than who they really were.

Another interesting thing is that David says that his salvation and his honor depend on God. They only depend on God. David's has all his eggs in the God basket. There is nothing else. Nothing else, however could bring him salvation and honor. Despite his high position, and respect from his allies, he doesn't pull his honor from acclaim. That stuff fails because people are fickle. God is not. Also, if God isn't who He says He is...that's the only way David fails.

In verse 11...I like this. One thing God has spoken...and its two things. They say the same thing about God. God is strong and God is loving. His love is strong. His love is an outpouring of his strength? I suppose I never equated the two, or figured one could be part of the other. Then God could pass on His love to us, and make us strong.

No comments: