Monday, April 20, 2009

Ps. 61: To Be With God

Psalm 61:4 "I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings."

David proves again just how desperately he wants to be with God. I've gotten kind of cynical lately, as I've read through what I perceive is a series of pretty repetitive Psalms, and I've expressed my frustrations. But that's me. That's me reacting, as I set out to do when I started. But I need to stop. I don't want to blow past something important. I'm sure I've missed some points along the way. But this isn't the last time I'll read any of these chapters. 

What's important here is that David shows me, unlike any person I've ever encountered, a person who clearly, truly and deeply desires a close, sincere walk with God. All he can think about...all that dominates his writing is the idea that God is his only refuge, his only hope. Who can live like that? How can I be like that? Should I be like that? How would my life change if I tried to live like that? How differently would I live. Drive. Give. Worship. Rhetorical questions, but I wouldn't even begin to be able to answer that. I wonder what a life devoted to God looks like, and here it is in front of me in Psalm 61. 

No comments: