Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Ps. 69: Deliverance

Psalm 69:29 "I am in pain and distress; may your salvation, O God, protect me."

I couldn't really say it better. The 69th Psalm is yet another in a litany of Psalms requested deliverance. Being subject to attacks by enemies and mockers is painful. Here, it is compared to drowning. It's scary to be in water and barely being able to keep your face above it. A slight error in judgement leads to death. And you can't breathe underwater. Those who hate and mock are compared to deep waters. And deep waters are scary and mysterious. Man was not created to live in deep waters. Man was created to have both feet on dry soil.

The Psalmist also describes being mocked for dressing in sackcloth, and for his devotion to his faith. Ain't that the truth. Even back a million years ago, devotion to God was made the subject of fun. What better way to mock someone than to give them vinegar to drink when they are thirsty. Vinegar doesn't quench thirst, as I recall. It's bitter, and gross and smelly. What a horrible thing to do to someone.

In spite of this pain, and fear and mocking, David (I assume it's David writing) still trusts God and encourages others to praise God. And I think to myself, "If I am complaining about the nonsense that befalls me in my life, would I have the attitude of exhorting my peeps to praise God?" Probably not. Most likely I would be Captain Bringdown.

No comments: