Thursday, March 05, 2009

Ps. 14: Foolish Evildoers

Psalm 14:7 "Oh, that salvation for Israel would come out of Zion! When the LORD restores the fortunes of his people, let Jacob rejoice and Israel be glad!"

So you say there is no God. Someone like that is known as an atheist. A fool, as declared by the first verse in the 14th Psalm. 

But I wonder how often I, as a believer, am an atheist in my heart. A fool. When I deliberately pursue evil. When I think, Meh, God won't notice this one or care. How foolish! That makes me an atheist in my heart! Corruption, vile deeds, not doing good...its all here! It says right there in verse 2 that God looks down from heaven for those who understand and seek Him. 

If David is to be given credence, the pickings are pretty slim for those who do good. Evildoers have devoured the good as bread. I get the sense that they didn't kill off the good people, most likely exerted their influence on them and turned them to evil. Like a giant amoeba, engulfing those who don't have the heart or sense to call on the LORD.

But God remains there, to be a refuge for those who are under the pursuit of the evil people.  David is very interested in seeing salvation for Israel come out of Zion. God dwells in Zion. God could be that salvation. He has a lot of hope for the restoration of the fortunes of his people. He sees these wonderful amazing times ahead, and I hope he's right. But it will have to much later. When we last left Israel in Nehemiah, it was shattered and beginning to rebuild.

No comments: