Thursday, March 19, 2009

Ps. 28: Prayer for Deliverance

Psalm 28:6 "Praise be to the LORD, for he has heard my cry for mercy."

Yet another prayer for deliverance from the evil people who surround him. I think a few things about this. First, David must have had a lot of time to write these things. Secondly, I wonder how often this happened? Last, maybe it didn't happen so many times, but it just inspired him to write about what happened to him. A lot of these prayers for deliverance contain similar elements, with many seeming to contain all of them. 

David is in trouble.

David calls on God to deliver him.

David recognizes that God is his deliverer and shield.

David reminds God how blameless he is.

David doesn't want to be counted among the evil, concerning himself with God's reputation.

David wants to be with God.

David praises God for deliverance and greatness.

David encourages others to do the same.

What is different here in the 28th Psalm is David's desire for God to repay those people who wronged him, and to remember them. David doesn't offer God any suggestions for ways to pour out His vengeance. Instead, David trusts God's justice. Whatever it is God decides to do will be far more effective than anything our minds can comprehend. And believe me, when I wanted retribution on the people who hid things from us when they sold me my house, I thought of a lot of things I wanted to do. As I took care of these repairs, it worsened. But I had to come to the point of realization that God is a just God, and he would be my vindication. But it also occured to me that perhaps what I'm dealing with is vindication for the sins of my youth...I don't know. Praise God anyway. 

But God will rebuild me.

No comments: