Thursday, March 12, 2009

Ps. 21: Victory Forever

Psalm 21:7 "For the king trusts in the LORD; through the unfailing love of the Most High he will not be shaken."

David continues his theme of crediting God for the victories won, as well as for the glorious things David has been given. It's really odd behavior for a king. I would imagine kings would spend more time praising themselves, heralding their accomplishments, and thumping their chests as if to say, "Look at this, look at me." Not David. He seems to think that he is nothing...has nothing without what was given to him by God.

David asked for certain things, and God saw fit to grant David the desires of his heart. I don't know why. I ask for stuff, and sometimes, often times, I don't receive it. But as we read in Job, God doesn't do that for everyone. He is capable, sure. But this inconsistency with which God rewards people and to what degree is God's consistency. He will do what he means, precisely how and when he means to. Nuts to little me and my mundane demands.

David attaches a real sense of permanence to these victories. Length of days, forever and ever. David obviously doesn't live forever (1 Ch. 29:28), but his throne was promised to continue (2 Sa. 7:16). Eternal blessings have been granted. He appears to know that something is coming after death. God's return is referenced, in which he will smite all his enemies in a fiery smiting.

The enemies of David are the enemies of God, and they are powerless to stand against God. This makes me want my enemies to be the enemies of God. If God and my enemies form an alliance of some kind, it's all over.

No comments: