Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Ps. 27: Whom Shall I Fear?

Psalm 27:13 "I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living."

David starts the 27th Psalm in much the same way Moses and Miriam started their song back in Exodus 15. What is most interesting is that these writings came under very different circumstances. Moses and Miriam had just been delivered by God from the Egyptians by crossing the Red Sea. David, conversely, was living in daily fear of his enemies. In both situations, they knew who to trust, and who would be their deliverer. Because of that, they had no one to fear.

David again commits to heart his belief that God alone will be his fortress and defense. It's through nothing David personally did, but because God chose to protect him. He trusted God's promise that he would be King.

Another thing that consistently blows my mind about David is his incredible longing to be with God. Not to die and go be with him, but to "dwell in his house" and "gaze upon his beauty." Who says that? About anything? With sincerity? I personally am not at that point. Once again, this would require a complete shuffling of priorities to feel this way. I like my TV and my car and my family and my job and my music. I don't find myself wishing that I was in God's presence. I do enjoy stopping to wonder about why God does certain things. I also obsess over why I think he would do certain things that he does that are confusing. David cuts through all that, and sort of makes it his own life's purpose to just be with God.

No comments: