Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Ps. 26: I'm With You, LORD

Psalm 26:2 "Test me, O LORD, and try me, examine my heart and my mind..."

This 26th Psalm reads like a pledge of allegiance to God. David describes his upright walk before God, his avoision of the things the wicked people do, his proclamations of what God does, and then a request to God to redeem David.

For someone who makes the claim to have a blameless life, no redemption would be needed right? I tripped on that part. I don't want to make the mistake of equating blamelessness with sinlessness. In David's walk with God, I imagine such a close relationship would lead to David consistently giving himself over to God, begging forgiveness when needed, and God responding in kind by removing the blame.

"Try me," David asks. He wears no mask before God. He has nothing to hide and nowhere to hide it, knowing full well nothing can be hidden from the reaches of God's knowledge. But its not posturing. David walks in God's love continually. He doesn't want to forget about or denigrate his sins, and think there may be something too small for God to take note of. 

Does David avoid wicked people? Probably not. When I read that David does not "sit with deceitful men" or "consort with hypocrites," I get the feeling that he means he does not agree with them, or take on their stances or actions. He is in them, but not of them. As king, you have to meet with all kinds, even wicked people, I guess.

I'm not entirely certain what is meant when David asks God not to take away his soul along with sinners. If I am to believe that the soul is a part of a man (Watchman Nee, anyone?) than how could God take it away? What becomes of that man? Perhaps metaphorically, God is David's "soul," the center, the hearbeat of his life. There I suppose the meaning is real.

No comments: